Thursday, May 9, 2013

Small Milestones

Last summer, I decided I would try to start running, and in the process, finish a 5k race. I was very gun-ho for the project at first. I would go out and run with a friend a couple days a week. Within a few weeks, though, I began find excuses to stay inside and skip the runs. That didn't stop race day from creeping up on me. In the end, I ran (walked) that 5k in 50:49. I didn't care about the time as much as I cared about just finishing. It was just the first step in creating a healthier me, right?  I haven't run a day since...

That is, until a few weeks ago. I figured I'd give it a try again. I started off slow. Very slow. I struggled to keep my pace under 19 minutes a mile and could barely get 2 miles in. In just a few weeks time, though, I've managed to bump that distance up 75% to 3.5 miles, 3x a week, and get my pace down to around 14 minutes.  Yesterday I even beat my original 5k time by more than 6.5 minutes!

I don't think I've ever been healthier in the past 15 years. I'm eating right. I'm exercising regularly. I'm sticking with it. I have a great support system at home and online with all of my friends. 

I've come up with a few rewards for each if my milestones I reach. I'd like to try CrossFit. I've been advised that I might prefer losing a little more weight first, as to avoid an early demise. It's intense stuff. (If you're not familiar with CrossFit, just google it.) It's also a bit costly. It's not something a can afford right now, but I found a place that told me to come in on Saturday mornings (plural) to check it out. The owner told me to just come to the Saturday morning WOD (workout of the day) until I can afford a membership. What the hell... I'm in!  So it looks like I'll be sweating like a pig, trying to keep my heart from exploding in my chest, and puking from exhaustion on Saturday mornings for a while.  Check them out here!

I've never felt the desire to better myself like I do right now. It's not just my physical health either. I want to go to school in the fall. I want to be a better father. I want to read more. I want... The list is fairly long and a bit too personal to share on here, but you get my drift. Time will tell. 

Did I mention I'm doing a GORUCK Challenge in October?  Google that one and I'll save that conversation for another day. 



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I think you're my male twin.

    I would say marry me, but if you're my twin that would be creepy.

    Are you on facebook? Look me up...Allison Barringer my profile picture is a crayon picture of a dinosaur. I'm also on MFP. Look me up there, too. :)

    ReplyDelete