Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Foundations / On-Ramp has begun!

Last night I went through my first Foundations class at CrossFit Praus. My trainers are already setting aside a little extra time for me this week to squeeze all of the classes and movements into 1 week instead of 2 to accommodate the fact that I will not be in town next week.  There were 4 other people starting the classes this week as well.  As the 5 of us started warming up and meeting each other, the WOD was posted on the wall.  I was not going to be happy at all with this one...  1/2 Cindy...  Cindy is basically the same thing as the Murph we did on Memorial day, minus the running.  That was just one day ago, though, and my quads were still screaming at me.  I felt almost like I had offended the trainers somehow and was being punished.  There was now way I was going to be able to do this.  I can't sit down on the toilet without help, let alone repeat a huge chunk of the workout that put me in this misery to begin with!

We warmed up a bit and went through some movements.  Soon, we got into some of the movements I had learned in previous classes, therefore, I was pulled aside to squeeze in a few other new moves instead.  We covered the basic squats (which were miserable even with a piece of pvc and no weight) and box jumps.  We still had a few minutes before the WOD was starting so we covered some kettlebell moves.  Thankfully, my trainer had also done Murph the day before and was feeling my pain quite literally.  Without saying anything, she walked over to the board where the WOD was written and wrote out a second WOD just for me.  I could have cried tears of joy.  I would be doing kettlebell work instead.  Long story short, I did my new WOD in under the 10 minute time limit and made a very wet sweat angel right in the middle of the floor.

Today I went back in to work on a few more moves that I would have missed next week.  They were there waiting for me half an hour before the next class started.  By the time the 4:30 class was ready to begin, we were done and I was invited to stay for the WOD.  I had to pass on that one.  My legs need a little more recovery time.  I'll be back tomorrow night, though, and probably Friday too.

I owe Shane and Amanda Burge a huge thank you for helping me out so much with taking these first steps.  I appreciate every little bit of extra time you've each taken to make this a reality for me.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love the crossfit community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog man. I'm in a similar situation and am located about halfway between Toledo and Ft. Wayne. I might try to get a hold of crossfit praus this week since your experiences there seem amazing.

    ReplyDelete